Tuesday, March 31, 2009

not so fast

I'm not sure how to say what I'm about to say without sounding callous, and if I'm interested in not sounding callous, it's because I don't want the perception to detract from what I'm about to say. As I've said before, people have been hard hit by the recession, and people were hard hit by poverty before the recession. There are a lot of groups of people in this world I have little sympathy for (tourists that may end up with a bicycle tire track over their body), but I've never been and never will be one of those people who thinks poverty is a personal flaw to be overcome.

But I wanted to smack the woman in this article who says, 'this is why poor people need to watch out in this recession' or something like that. Who the hell has $100+ electrical bills? Sure, there's only one of me (for another week or so), but my electrical bill in this house hasn't surpassed $30. There were to of us in my old house, with two refrigerators and an electrical dryer that my roommate used to do laundry for the basketball team that he coached. Why do people feel entitled to cheap power? I'm sorry, but short of electric heating, which is such a bad idea anyway, how the f* do you end up with a $100+ electric bill?

4 comments:

Tmomma said...

Most of us in KG saw our electric bills double this winter...no joke I had a bill over $300...I was shocked...and this is with HE washers and dryers and a new more efficient heat pump. And the bill has barely dropped in the last 2 months....I love it, prices of these things go up together but then only some go back down.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to tell you. My electric bill for March was $20.46 (mind you, I was away for about ten days). Is your heating electric?

Gina Calia-Lotz said...

Ours lately in Maryland has been about $250-$300. And we keep our heat at 68 degrees in the winter. In the old days (before kids and before BGE price hike) it was generally around $90. Maybe prices in VA are a lot less?

RobinZjemi said...

Many houses have electric hot water heaters that even frugally used will often boost electric bills over $100/month. This is common in rural and some suburban areas with no natural gas lines available. Air conditioning certainly can push bills over $100 as will small radiant and space heaters (which are often more energy efficient than central heating).