Friday, July 1, 2011

If Sisyphus were vegan trying to explain the concept to his mom...

My dad drinks buttermilk straight-up (or, even more gross, with orange juice), but who am I to judge.

Last night

Dad: Would you like some buttermilk? I find it to be the most satisfying drink.
A.: No, thanks.
Dad: That's right, you don't drink dairy. So no milk, buttermilk?
A.: I drink soymilk. I could drink almond milk, but I don't see the point.
Dad: I can't stand soymilk. It reminds me of what we had during the war.
Mom: So no ice cream?
A.: Soy ice cream.
Dad: There's been some bad press about soy.
A.: All meat industry propaganda. I was just a few hours ago talking about this with [a friend who's a doctor]. She's not at all concerned for her, but she asked her pediatrician whether it was okay for her daughter, and the pediatrician had no concerns whatsoever. Besides, you consume more soy when you eat meat than when you just have soy.

Incidentally, my friend's baby was offered meat and turned it away. These kids know what's good for them, I tell you. But I digress. The point is, Dad's approach to my veganism is something like this:

Dad: Would you like some cheese? Oh, yeah--you don't eat cheese. [End of conversation.]

Mom's approach is stuck on this:

Mom: Would you like some yogurt?
A.: No, thanks.
Mom: Why not.
A.: I don't eat dairy.
Mom: But the cows! What are you going to do with all the cows.

Rinse, repeat.

***
An hour ago

A.: Are we going on our walk?
Mom: Just a minute! I'm almost done with the yardwork.
A.: Can I help?
Mom: Oh, no. I'm done.

Five minutes ago

A.: Mom! Are we going?
Mom: I'm almost done.

No comments: