Monday, July 4, 2011

Coffee

Sometimes something's so funny that all I can do is laugh hysterically. And I can't contain myself. Dad had poured the coffee. Mom was messing with something at the sink. I raised the coffee cup half-way to my lips.

Mom: Do you drink coffee?
A.: [laughter]

I had to put the cup down.

Mom: Seriously--do you drink coffee? What about coffee?

Dad smiled. I laughed. After a few seconds, I thought it was safe to pick up the cup.

Mom: What about coffee? I'm sure coffee has some adverse effect on the animals.

I had to put the cup down.

Mom: What kind of laugh is that? I'm trying to think what animal that sounds like.

I picked up the cup.

Mom: So do you, or don't you, drink coffee?

I couldn't put the cup down in time. I laughed so hard that some of it spilled into the saucer. Dad was laughing, too.

No comments: