Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday afternoon roundup

Holy crap the ISI overstepped.

Bet the Pope and Rupert Murdoch never thought they'd be subject to an unhappy comparison.

Some people are woefully ignorant.

Mark Bittman offers a no-brainer food policy fix.

The Post reviews a book on living with childhood food allergies.

I found "Clybourne Park" disappointing--I really don't see what that Pulitzer was about. I mean, it's funny enough, it's pretty good... but there's something missing. It's great that it seeks to bring out issues of race and gentrification, but seeks is the key word. It's not a particularly insightful or deep conversation.

I thought all that last night, and then, this morning, even before I read Peter Marks' suggestion for Kennedy Center Honors, I thought, Tom Stoppard would have pulled it off. He would have written a play that made us constantly think and question our assumptions and conclusions. I know that's not really fair, and I'm the last one to hold every playwright up to the standard of Tom Stoppard. I'm just saying, there's an innovative way to do a problem play and a blah way.

No comments: