Sunday, July 3, 2011

Soup Talk

Mom: Seems like a lot of work. Lots of vegetables to cut up.
A.: There was exactly one vegetable to cut up: onions. Oh, and the celery. You chop up onion and celery on a daily basis. And I grated a carrot. Hardly an unseen event in this house.
Mom: How did you decide what to add?
A.: I looked in the fridge and saw what you had, especially for what needed to be used. I know I brought you a big bunch of collards, so I based the soup on that. And then thought black-eyed peas would go well with that and I saw some in the pantry when we went to get the chick peas for hummus.
Mom: I didn't even know we had those. I probably bought them on sale at some point.
A.: I figured.
Mom: Sounds like a lot of work.
A.: No more than any other soup, and you eat soup every day.
Mom: What else is in there?
A.: So, onion, celery, carrot, collards, black-eyed peas, salt, pepper, and soy milk to make it creamy.
Mom: The horror! But I wouldn't have guessed.
A.: That's all.
Mom: I don't think I'll make this soup.
A.: Okay.
Mom: I'm not saying it's not good.
A.: It's okay. I just made soup because you said you wanted soup, and we had vegetables. I wasn't expecting a medal.
Mom: Maybe I'll make it with cream.
A.: Suit yourself.
Mom: What about leeks?
A.: What about them?
Mom: Do you eat leeks? What's the issue with leeks.
A.: No issue with leeks.
Mom: Okay.

No comments: