Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday breakfast

Dad: We're out of peppers.
A.: Why don't you use some of the [farm share greens that I'd brought] in your eggs?
Dad: That might be interesting.

I took out a few collard leaves and tore them up for him.

Dad: How many eggs do you want?
A.: I'm not having eggs.
Dad: Oh, yeah.
Mom: Chickens work so hard. Why not eat eggs?
A.: I stopped eating eggs before I stopped eating dairy. It's almost impossible to have humane eggs unless you raise your own chickens.

That said, I'd sooner 'cheat' with eggs than with dairy, but I tend to cheat when I'm traveling (business or otherwise) and my choices are limited. I could have cheated this morning, I suppose, but I'm at the point where I don't want eggs. I suppose if I came across humane ones I could talk myself into wanting them again.

There is so much stuff in my parents' fridge that, more often than not, to get to what you need, you need to take out 3-5 things that are blocking it. So it happened that the olives were out, and dad offered me one before returning them to the fridge.

Dad: Can I pass you an olive?
A.: No, thanks.
Mom: Why not? Why not an olive?

Mom, who's never been good at keeping track of what's hers, accidentally took a swig of my soy milk. The surprise wasn't a pleasant one (which surprises me, since she mistook it for her buttermilk).

Dad: You could have--oh, I was going to offer you some of my eggs if you were still hungry, but they're infused by now with the bacon.
Mom: So! Who cares. Bacon will only improve the taste.
Dad: Your mom doesn't appreciate the rules of Kosherness. That's when her non-Jewish side comes through.

***
Earlier this morning

Dad: I'd started to read the article you gave me, but your mom started asking me to help her with the computer. She couldn't find the letter "c" on the keyboard.
A.: I don't think it's her memory. She's always pulled stuff like that.
Dad: I don't know. She's been very forgetful.
A.: She's always been very forgetful. Maybe I'm in denial.
Dad: Maybe I'm reading too much into these things.
A.: I think she's fundamentally not detail-oriented and that she often doesn't pay attention, and that's what's been exacerbated with the tiredness.
Dad: You could be right.

No comments: