Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ramble and response to comment

Yes, that double standard persists: I doubt men get told to talk less or not monopolize. Did I post the Sheryl Sandberg profile, which discusses the trade-off women face between effectiveness and likeability? I've essentially been told by a male manager (not at my current job) that it's best not to show too much knowledge or skill. Now, I'm the first to say that it's not a good idea for anyone, male or female, to be all up in your coworkers' faces with knowledge and skill, except by virtue of leveraging it to do your job, but I wonder whether anyone's ever told a guy to tone it down, it being the appearance of competence.

Here's the other thing that really, really pisses me off, and it's been simmering ever since "Bridesmaids" opened. And I just read it in the program of "Shrewing of the Tamed," which is part of Capital Fringe: Can women be as funny as men? Are you f*ing kidding me? Why would anyone even ask that?

No comments: