Friday, July 1, 2011

That was close

I was concerned hell had frozen over. I thought I was going to disappoint you--I know how much you enjoy the fat talk, and I had none to offer. In fact, mom had gone as far as to say, "you do, indeed, look good." Thankfully, dinner came along.

Dad: There's not enough salt here.
A.: There's never enough salt as far as you're concerned.
Mom: It's true. You don't even try anything, you just salt it.
A.: He suggested I put soy sauce in the salad! Can you believe that?
Dad: Would've been better than all this vinegar.
Mom: So, you're not allowed sour cream, you're not allowed cream cheese.
A.: I wouldn't say 'not allowed.' I just don't eat it.
Mom: Because you're not allowed.
A.: Because I choose not to eat that.
Mom: Because you have different ideas, which preclude you from eating it. So you're not allowed.
A.: However you want to think of it, mom.
Mom: So then what? They'll just kill the cows.
A.: They kill the cows anyway. And their calves.
Dad: They'll set them free, so they'll roam the streets the way they do in Delhi.
Mom: Well, your skin is definitely better since you've gone veggie. I've always had good skin, but you didn't always have good skin. (Pause) You've gotten very muscly, too. (Pause) I think women should be... delicate, gentle, thin. I was always thin at your age.
A.: [Shrug]

No comments: