Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wednesday morning roundup

In appreciation of Senator Mathias.

Remember the Telescope Effect article that I posted two Sundays ago, about the issue of disproportionate compassion for individual people vs. masses? Here's a compelling argument for at least caring about individuals:
It also shows how impossible it is not to get caught up in the fate of individuals even when confronted with mass casualties.

"You know, we talk about and teach the 'most good for the most people' approach," Redmond said. "But if you are presented with a problem of one particular person, and you think you can do something about it, give it a shot."
That article also speaks to the magnitude of the survivors' needs in Haiti.

Maureen Dowd.

The Times samples some State-of-the-Union-like addresses. Check out the word counts as well as the themes.

This is why I'd never make AVD a potluck. I'm not averse to potlucks for lesser occasions--picnics, etc. But I strongly believe that when you invite people to celebrate something, you're responsible for the celebration. And yes, I have taken to having annual birthday parties for myself (Miss Manners wouldn't suggest, I'm sure, that since I've no significant other, or nearby family, to arrange such a party for me, I should just let my birthday go.) Across Eastern Europe, you throw your own party. But you don't invite people and then expect them to do the work/foot the bill. Moving on, the second letter in the above link represents a truly horrific lapse in judgment and taste.

No comments: