Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Monday morning roundup

Unsurprisingly, E.J. Dionne and Dave Brooks hold vastly distinct interpretations of the polls and offer quite disparate prescriptions. Guess with whom Eugene Robinson agrees.

Petula Dvorak adds her 2 cents to the trends indicating that marriage is a better deal for "the male of the species", "Mad Men" references and all. My friends and I were just talking about "Mad Men" in that context (i.e. my friend's sister had told her it was anti-feminist; I disagreed). I mean, the late fifties/early sixties were different times, and showing the realities of those times isn't anti-feminist. And if you look at the happiest women in "Mad Men"--and those most flattered by the show--it's the ones ahead of their time or changing ahead of the times. It's *not* the housewives or aspiring housewives, for sure. Here's the actual article on the study.

Centers in DC that serve those in need show lines far out the door.

No comments: