Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking back on the holidays

It was a pretty low-key week, as visits home go. Sure, there were a few screaming fights, but they were mostly political (runner up topic: mom trying to stick something on me, like cheese or an ill-fitting coat). There was, of course, plenty of commentary about my weight, but nothing like that of past years. This is not the kind of thing that would have sparked the establishment of this blog. I'm not sure *why* mom has been more mellow--could be that this was my first visit of the season, rather than the third; could be that I actually made myself useful--not because I hadn't wanted to in past years, but the things that mom needed this time around--canceling a credit card, fixing her old computer, setting up a wireless connection for her new one--actually corresponded to my abilities, unlike writing complaint letters to her tastes. Unlike the past couple of years at least, there was no moment where I wished I had my car so I could just go home. I actually enjoyed spending the week with my parents, and, of course, seeing my friends.

Which is not to say that it's not great to be home. I hadn't got to the point where I realized I was craving alone time, but it's good to have it (not only because the idiot Post circulation people continued to deliver the paper while I was away). It's good to have the house to myself (don't even get me started about how great it is not having a roommate), to be on my own schedule, to have access to public transportation, etc. It's crazy how much driving around we did compared to how little I usually do, and we didn't even do that much. But it's a different lifestyle. Driving around Newton, once you get out past the area where my parents live, is insane. The houses are so unnecessary and enormous--not that there's none of that here, but it's probably much farther out. Which reminds me of a conversation we had at dinner on Wednesday night.

Misha: Your mom said your house was okay but that there wasn't a lot of space between houses.
A.: Well, no. I live right in a city.
Misha: We live right in a city, too.
A.: This is more of a suburb.

I'm certainly not hurting for space between houses (I'm attached on one side and have a narrowish space to the side). My parents don't have much space to either side of their house, either. I'm not slamming Misha, or my mother, but it's striking what their expectations are in terms of how much "personal space" an urban house should have.

Anyway, riding around, by car and T, I got to see some beautiful parts of Boston and the surrounding area.

***
We did end up doing some crosswords (and some quizzes) on New Year's Eve. A great line came out of the whole thing, but I can't remember it exactly. At one point, Wendy burst out with, "that's it! we have to learn the months of the Hebrew calendar!"

***
Here are some more pictures from the last month:
Alexandria
Boston area


No comments: