Friday, January 29, 2010

Response to comments

Here's an amazing misguided-overprotective parent story. Apparently, the school reconsidered.

***
The hedgehog has an official check-out date. Its handler, who had arranged that date without my input, tried to postpone it by two weeks when I told her I’d be out of town and thus have to evict it early, leaving it outside for an extra day before the UPS guy can collect it... but I would have none of it. I want that thing out of the house.

***
ETC, I’m honored to have had a positive influence on your relationship with your sister! I’ve felt strongly about unsolicited advice for a long time—I wasn’t very old before I noticed how unhelpful it was. But there are two kinds of advice, as I’d written in my original post: the ‘you should do this’ kind and the ‘be aware of this fact, think about yourself and your priorities, and integrate the two’ advice. For example, there’s ‘lower your standards if you want to meet someone’ and there’s ‘think about the extent to which it’s important for you to be in a relationship, and consider whether it’s worth changing your ways to make it happen.’

Incidentally, I met some friends for drinks last night and pointed them to our debate re: dating. They’re successful, amazing, beautiful, interesting, African-American and single. They agreed that the city sucked in general but that it was notably worse for them.

They’re also two of the few people from whom I take advice on my appearance without bristling, usually because they don’t offer it without solicitation. I generally get annoyed when people advise me to dye my gray hair—and I’m still not going to do it—but they said it in a context that was practical and non-offensive.

In case you were wondering, our recurring ‘this city sucks for dating’ conversation ended in ‘too bad. We’re not desperate, we’re not going to lower our standards, and we’re going to go on living our very full lives.’ Although we agreed that what we did need was (1) a ‘wife,’ i.e. personal assistant and (2) a boy toy, none of us felt she needed, wanted a husband. I revisited that feeling today when a coworker told me that her mother-in-law had taken to complaining over the dearth of home-cooked meals her son was getting and gave my coworker... wait for it... a gift subscription to Good Housekeeping.

***
re: family, my mother, but not my father, is the same way: the more I have my $hit together, the less she can believe it and the more she picks at me. Probably because that way she feels needed.

***
Doris Kearns Goodwin says bring on the filibuster.

1 comment:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

Well, the thing is even if your advice is good (which mine was -- it was usually along the lines of "He didn't call you for 3 weeks after the first date, no, don't go out with him again!), if it's unsolicited, it's unsolicited. Period. What was even more fascinating is that she started making positive changes after I stopped giving her advice. And somehow I managed to keep my mouth closed when she did.

Why dye your gray or change your hair? Someone's going to love that about you. It's weird, b/c a few of my acquaintances suggested that I should get a perm before I met my husband and it was like, "Um, the guy I want is going to love my hair as is. And the guy I don't want is not going to like me b/c I don't have a perm."

But you bring up a good point which I was talking to another blogger about today -- but we were talking about money. I think it's good idea to know how much of it you need to be happy. For example, I'm ambitious, but I'm not willing to forsake the balance in my life or craft to become a millionaire. I like being comfortable, but I don't need to be rich.

So I think it's good to know what you would like and what you could be perfectly happy without. I'll try to remember I said that if my book doesn't sell. :)

No, his mama didn't get that girl a gift subscription to Good Housekeeping!!! I refuse to believe that actually happened. I find it hard to live in a world where something like that could happen. That's all.