Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thursday evening roundup

Were I a more thorough blogger, I'd have gone back and linked this creative post with the article on the memories associated with smell, which I posted earlier this week.

Ha. Have I been to this Tesco? I don't remember ever shopping there. I would go to Cardiff to shop at the covered market, and also in some of the smaller grocery stores to the west of the city, toward the arts center neighborhood--Chapter, is it called?

I was just thinking of Wales, as an example of how we let beauty sink in and don't notice it once we're used to it. I went to Ireland for a weekend, which was also beautiful but in a very different way, and coming back--just taking the bus back from the nearest station, I was struck by the beauty of the landscape, which I'd been observing for months but at some point it stopped being as noteworthy. I just experienced the same thing last week when I biked to work for the first time since early December--it's such a beautiful ride, but it's not as striking when I see it more regularly.

Where not to stay.

1 comment:

Ernessa from 32 Candles said...

I feel the same way about Smith. I wonder how I couldn't have appreciated living there more. It was so beautiful. I'm really looking forward to finally returning to campus this year.