Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wednesday evening ramble

On Food

Remember last week I was rambling about the mainstreaming of "ethnic" food? Or gentrification, perhaps. Anyway, over the weekend, Whole Foods had green curry paste on sale... and sold out.

***
I bought some organic Pink Lady apples at Trader Joe's. It's like eating an appletini. Mmmmm.

***
Conventional sweet potatoes are officially not as good as their organic counterparts. It's not just a store thing. Trader Joe's was out of organic, so I bought conventional, and they're 'eh.'


***
On Gracie

A.: It's actually a good thing that you're not annoying as an intermittently beeping carbon monoxide detector, because if you were, you'd be homeless. That does mean that I'm going to tend to it before I tend to you, but I ask you to take the long view in this situation.

And while we're talking about the long view with regard to your being fed, I need you to help me out. You see, I--perhaps foolishly--adopted you, so I am obligated to feed you. As no such moral contract exists for the people who kindly agree to feed you when I travel, it would behoove you to cease leaving little kitty landmines for them to step on when they come to give you food. Is that clear?

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

so i know you don't eat meat, but we had some amazing hanger steak last night. i will take some credit for the awesome marinade I made. it's from a local farm, totally grain fed, antibiotic free. husband was happy and want me to get more. even the organic meat is better!