Monday, January 18, 2010

News

Last night

D.: What's that show after 'Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me?'
M.: 'This American Life'?
A.: Thanks for texting me about that show yesterday, it was interesting. It's telling that I had no idea which station hosted NPR and had to fumble for it.
D.: Why? You stream it?
A.: No. I don't listen to NPR.

Pause. Shocked looks

D.: Well, I guess something has to give, if you read the Times, and the Post...
A.: Yeah, and I've never liked getting my news from the radio (or TV). And I've just never gotten that into NPR.
D.: I think I'm going to cancel my subscription to the Post...
M.,A., in unison: We were just talking about that!
M.: And about how it's gone downhill, even just in the past year, and how the Times is just better journalism.
A.: The Post magazine is usually such fluff...
D.: And I love, love, love, the Times magazine.
M.: Well, I like Date Lab.
A.: I hate Date Lab.
M.: It's also just too much.
A.: I agree. I'm even thinking about not renewing the New Yorker. But I'm wavering, and I think if I cancel the Post and let expire the subscriptions to magazines I don't really read, I can keep it. I just got my last issue of Elle...
D.,M.: [Shocked looks].
M.: A., once in a while you say something that just shocks me.
A.: [Shrug] They have good articles once in a while. But Elle, too, has gone downhill.

***
A.: I don't know if anti-Valentine's Day is going to happen this year... I'll be getting back from a business trip the day before, and one that entails jet lag, at that.
M.: What? No! You have to do it!
A.: I might, just because this was going to be the last one. I was going to stop years ago but people wouldn't let me, so I said I'd go to ten--nice, even number.
M.: Why stop? Don't make it the last one!
A.: It's just so. much. work.
M.: You can do a potluck.
A.: Eh. Tacky, and not the same.
M.: I'm willing to contribute. You have to have this party.
A.: I'll think about it. This is exactly what happened years ago when I tried to stop.

Seriously. I really don't feel like having this party. Sigh.

No comments: