Monday, January 18, 2010

Monday morning roundup

My family certainly engages in greenfighting. And I'd often rather avoid restaurants than quiz the waiters. But who the f* "prefers the way food tastes when it is served on Styrofoam"? My former RM, probably. Who did leave plastic yogurt cups and such in the trash, and like one of the people in the article, I had to wonder whether he was doing it to bait me. But that would be giving him too much credit.

My feelings on the statue are mixed. The statue honors soldiers, not so much the Confederate cause, and it reflects Alexandria's complex Civil War history.

Perhaps I unfairly maligned the Post, particularly in comparison to the Times. I'm relieved that they're not going with the equal-opportunity-destruction angle; rather, they're reporting on how Haiti's elite have not experienced a lesser extent of devastation. Which means, as I said yesterday, that structural changes can ensure lesser devastation for more people in future disasters. And institutional changes.

No comments: