Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wednesday evening roundup

I have very, very low expectations of the WSJ editorial page, but this?? Really, WSJ? For a reality check, see--and I can't believe I'm linking to the Washington Times editorial page and actually agreeing with it, but Arnaud de Borchgrave knows his stuff, which doesn't explain the drivel in most of the paper, but I digress--see this.

The Collins-Brooks conversation of the week is very timely-- first of all, that discussion of being able to disagree with someone, yet admire his or her intellect. Which reminded me of Richard Cohen's column on Sonia Sotomayor. I see his point, but I don't think he's being fair. In that conversation--and do read the one on health care linked within, which sparked the one I linked--David Brooks talks about how his party has left him. We--some friends of mine, at least one of whom considers himself a Republican--were just talking about this phenomenon (i.e. that party catering to, and being left to, its lunatic fringe).

Democratic Senators--albeit not those of my state--demonstrate balls. Maybe they could carry them over to health care reform.

Parsing the Skip Gates debacle. That link justifies the policeman's behavior; this is supposed to be the companion piece/counterargument, but Lawrence Bobo's piece, which the Post has made impossible to find online, works better in that sense.

I came across this quote in a cartoon; it spoke to me.

No comments: