Friday, July 17, 2009

Lotus flower

If I were conspiratorially-minded, I would be thinking he did this on purpose: played normal for a whole month before asking whether he should move out, and then went all buddy-buddy (or parent) on me after I told him he could stay.

Perhaps you'll think I'm overreacting. All he did just now was knock on my office door so he could say, "have a good day." But he could have just as well said this from the hallway, through the door, if he felt so inclined.

You do appreciate that the dynamic I have been working to establish is, "as far as social interaction goes, pretend I do not exist." I exist only in the following senses:

(1) I own this place and require payment for the rented room.
(2) I do not like cockroaches or fruitflies; therefore I do not like crumbs or other food mess.
(3) I don't like to wake up in the night, freezing, because of cranked AC.

Apart from those minor details, I'd just as soon he operated under the premise that I'm not here. There is no need to go out of one's way to wish me a good day. Really.

No comments: