Wednesday, July 8, 2009

RM update (drama level: low)

He wrote me a note, again, to let me know he'd be out late. I certainly don't let him know when I'll be out late (unless I ask him to feed the cat).

It would be unfair to say that he and I have a tacit understanding--because the tacit understanding is entirely in my head-- and it follows: I overlook (well, forgive) the personality weirdness because he's such a good roommate in the strictest sense of the word. Which means that I don't like finding crumbs around. I've discussed the cockroach issue (they're endemic to this area, and if you leave food around, they will come). And I don't mean small crumbs-- there were sizable (white) bread crumbs on one of the placemats (and I don't eat white bread).

I'll reiterate at this point that I know it's partly me. It's not like Kevin never left a crumb anywhere (and I'm not claiming sainthood in that department myself). But Kevin wasn't weird, and I do go out of my way to make sure that bugs have nothing to eat in this house, because I had to get rid of a whole bunch of them when I first moved in, and it wasn't easy or fun. I've just gotten under control a fruit fly infestation sparked by RM's fruit adventures, and fruit flies are annoying but not disgusting. That's more than I can say for cockroaches.

The other night, over drinks-- and by the way, there was a doggie bakery right outside Lauriol Plaza, so it's not just Alexandria-- Margo didn't think I needed to keep RM around to help me not become my mother; she thought that being actively aware of mom's less productive social traits was enough... but largely because I can't stand the guy, I find myself being unfair, and I'm glad I can still acknowledge that I'm being unfair.

No comments: