Monday, July 20, 2009

RM and the rules

RM returned latish last night. He did not break the rule whose breach so offended me the very first weekend we were both in the house: In general, do not try to talk to me when I'm watching The Daily Show or Colbert Report (or in the rare occasion that I'm watching anything else on TV when How I Met Your Mother is in reruns). In particular, do not even think about talking to me when I'm watching TDS and/or Colbert on a Sunday night, because it means that I've had an insane weekend and I've finally gotten a chance to sit down to watch TV, and hell hath no fury like a woman whose roommate tries to get between her and the Daily Show.

He did, however, break a couple of rules--rules that have been made explicit: (1) when something is recyclable, for f*'s sake, recycle it; (2) the uncovered rubbish bin in under the kitchen sink is not for anything sticky/smelly/decomposing. For that, there is a covered rubbish bin, lined with an odor-countering trash bag. The bin in the kitchen is just for convenience, and nothing that bares any trace of food, and would thereby attract bugs, goes into it.

This will have to be discussed, and I'm at the point where I don't want to have to have discussions with my roommate. I will also ask him to move his bike to the storage room and out of the living room. Yes, mine is in the living room, but it is partly confined behind a screen, and it's a necessity-- I use it every other day or so and it's too much to bring it up and down the stairs every time. If he's only using his occasionally, it can go upstairs. Is that reasonable?

I won't discuss the third rule he broke, which I also discovered while taking out the kitchen trash: please do not buy foods just because you've seen them in my pantry (or part of the fridge--whatever). Seriously. Grow the f* up, or act your age.

No comments: