Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wednesday Evening Roundup

My mom just invited me to Rio for Carnival. I said no. As much as I'd LOVE to go to Carnival, I'd love to go and have fun at Carnival. Fun is a central aspect of Carnival. And I've learned by now that traveling anywhere with my parents is more stress than fun. I've never regretted going, but I've always come back needing another vacation and/or therapy.

***
One of my least favorite parts of returning to the office after a trip is sorting through my e-mail (I brought my laptop to do work, but had trouble with IE, which is the only browser that the portal will go through). So, what's less fun than sorting through your e-mail? Finding this in your e-mail:

"In the kitchen are some chocolate cake bites with chocolate glaze.... please help yourself!!! Very rich and decadent, almost like a truffle :-)"


On the other hand, this was sent on Monday, which was Yom Kippur, so I suppose it was a good thing I was away.

***
I know this isn't supposed to be funny, but it just is:
The bomber carried undetected explosives inside what was described by Stratfor Global Intelligence, which first reported the unprecedented mode of attack, as his "anal cavity." The bomb was believed detonated by a cellphone signal, but the only person killed was the attacker, Abdullah Hassan Taleh al-Asiri, one of 85 "most-wanted" militants on a Saudi list who had scheduled a meeting to discuss a government amnesty offer.

"This is a device designed to scare us all," Barrett said.


***
This is such a load of crap. There is no way a largely meat-reduced diet, with a basis in whole grains and pulses, is more expensive. Unless you need truffle oil in yours.

I agree with McWilliams' emphasis on what's realistic, but I'm wary; see this very good point about. Honestly, I think we need to stop splitting hairs about where people get their apples from. The issue is not apples flown in from Washington State or even New Zealand; the issue is factory farms, lean cuisine and happy meals. Once we get people to trade in their TV dinners and fast food for fresh produce, we can go back to overtaxing the brains of people like me, who already think and care about what they eat but really can't be bothered to devote any more energy to making decisions about it than we already do.

***
Apparently, DC falls short in the dudeism department.

No comments: