Monday, September 7, 2009

Sunday evening ramble

Remarkably, there's nothing I found today in the Times or Post worth sharing with you. I saw this yesterday and thought it was spot-on-- I remember being shocked, upon taking my first job out of grad school, that all these 22-year-olds were married, some with kids. Who does that?? I'm not lying or rationalizing when I say that I was such a different person at 22, and even 25, that it just wouldn't have been a healthy thing for me.

***
I woke up in a cold sweat last night--this goes with it having suddenly dawned on me that it's September--and remembered that my United miles (over 62,000 of them) expire at the end of October, and that I really haven't been on this. I thought if it came down to it, I'd just get one of their credit cards, but they now charge a $130 annual fee! Nor can I possibly consume $100 of restaurant food in the next month or so without making myself sick... so it's all Safeway. I stopped in today on the way back from my bike ride on the Wilson Bridge trail, tried my hardest to spend the nearly $200 I needed within the parameter of what would fit in my panniers (you get 125 miles for $250 spent, but more importantly, you get miles, period, for $250 spent... and I registered my card too late to have accumulated anything near that much). I got a couple bottles of wine, two books of stamps (so I can finally send Wendy's month-old birthday card and thank-you note, once I unearth it), and some staples. Something like $140 to go. I wonder if the stamps didn't count. I'd better go back with a car and stock up on kitty litter for the next year.

No comments: