Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wednesday evening roundup

Ruth Marcus parses McDonnell's Macaca moment. Meanwhile, I wonder why there are three McDonnell signs, and no Deeds signs, in the island between the Routes one at First Street.

The Economist laments the short-term market forces going against sustainability.

I must be really calm and carefree, because mosquitos, unfortunately, like me.

OMG I soooo agree about Rosa Mexicana's guacamole: it's such a cheap gimmick and it's not even that good. I think I've even previously blogged about this travesty. Anyway, here are some other regrettable restaurant trends.

A fascinating anecdotal extrapolation of an old study on dieting and eating disorders. I'm the same age as the then-kids/now-adults in the study, but twenty years ago, I never gave dieting a second thought (nor did my mother give me any reason to think that I should).

Some types of things can vary culturally; other things, like reality, are absolute. What if I were to say that it's against my culture to give a f* about the plight of Palestinians in refugee camps? Because it is. Which is not to say that I don't, but if one were to revert to one's culture-- I'm just saying.

I especially love the headline, "Ice Dancing Not a Job Requisite".

Another one raised in a barn--and who actually has the audacity to write Miss Manners thinking she's in the right!

No comments: