Friday, December 26, 2008

Shopping Day

I told mom I didn't want to waste the day shopping, and that we should go for a walk, but she had shopping in mind and tricked me, and by the time we were done, the clouds were out. But I digress.

Mom; Do you want those pots?
A.: No.
Mom: Why not?
A.: I have pots.
Mom: Yours aren't very good.
A.: How do you know?
Mom: I just figure.

A few minutes later

Mom: Do you want that coffeemaker?
A.: No. I don't drink coffee often enough to justify the counter space it would take up.
Mom: Coffee is healthy. Don't be so politically correct.

Then we went to Trader Joe's, where anyone with the a modicum of store smarts shops with a basket rather than a cart.

A.: We don't need a cart, mom.
Mom: I like having a cart.

The store wasn't even that crowded, but it doesn't have to be to make pushing a cart trouble.

Mom: Okay, you push the cart.

Then we were looking for a line, and mom saw what was then the shortest and ran toward it, cart and all. I stopped her because she was about to run over a pointsettia.

A.: Mom!
Mom: What? Now that woman beat us to the line.
A.: That wouldn't have happened had we just taken a basket.

She went and shopped for flowers. I transferred the contents of our cart into a basket.

***
On the way to Trader Joe's, a home appraiser called.

Mom: What rate did you get on your refi?
A.: I got 5.125% on the first trust and 6.5% on the second.
Mom: A.! I told you, I could get you 3-point-something off our equity!
A.: I'm fine with the rate I got.
Mom: Seven percent is a lot!
A.: No, it isn't. I don't want to deal with borrowing money through your home equity line.

We've been over this. Mom has offered to loan me money throughout the whole process and I should be grateful that she's supportive, but I want none of it. I can handle my mortgage. I can't handle the prospect of mom's involvement in my mortgage.

No comments: