Friday, December 12, 2008

Rent

I'm posting a room announcement I received through the SC young alums listserv, because I think parts of it are f*ing hilarious (skim up to fourth paragraph, then read):

There's a room opening up in the group house I'm in and I thought I'd let you all in on it. It's $700 a month, utilities not included (average $75 a month). The house is extremely well located (about three houses down from the Adams Morgan bike shop, for those who know the area) - you can walk to Adams Morgan bars even in ridiculous heels. Don't believe me? Google map 1757 Euclid St NW. There's a farmers market less than a block a way, and walking to the Dupont
scene takes less than 15 minutes. Accessible to the 42, and S1,2,4 bus lines and red line (Woodley Park) and Columbia Heights metro (.7 mile walk to each). Walkable (10 minutes) to Rock Creek park and the Zoo for jogging and picnics.

The house itself is in great shape. It's a 3 floor, 6 bedroom/4.5 bath. It's got a pool table, huge TV w/ TiVo, central heat and air, a gas fireplace, nice tiled kitchen with granite countertops, gas stove, garbage disposal, dishwasher, weekly maid service, the works. Washer
and dryer of course. Wood floors everywhere except the stairs, which have been carpeted recently and are in great shape.

The room: not huge, but it's got a full closet, big window and can fit a full-sized bed. Carpeted. You'll share a bathroom with the DOJ (male) paralegal. Bathroom has full tub.

The other roommates - 2 men, 3 women (including me) - keep mostly to themselves, and if you don't watch TV you'll never see them. One female financial analyst (mid twenties), me, and her friend Kerry on the 3rd floor (haven't seen Kerry in literally a month - she basically
lives with her boyfriend). Second floor has the empty room, an early twenties male paralegal in the DOJ, and the IT geek/parttime grad student landlord in his thirties. The analyst and paralegal are really the only people I see much of, and they are funny and very chill.

There is a downside to every house, and I'll be upfront about the downside here. The landlord lives here, and while he is not anal about cleanliness, noise or anything like that, he is extremely socially awkward (I mean shit, he's in his late thirties and lives in a 6 bedroom house with roommates. Read between the lines). He has been known to inadvertently drive off tenants who can't handle his personality. He's not aggressive - more like infuriatingly passive
and kind of pathetic - but he likes to make awkward jokes, talk during my shows (gaaaaah) and hover. I haven't had a real problem with him because I can be extremely frigid when necessary - after a month of giving one word answers to his banalities, we have a nice, civil
understanding. If you are an extremely nice and accommodating person he will try to ingratiate himself into your life, so this living arrangement may not be for you. Honestly, he's not difficult to deal with, but i do feel that i need to warn prospective roomies.

Nina

P.S. there is on-street parking, but the man vacating this room is actually leaving because he's had his car broken into twice (he left his ipod and GPS system out. oy.), so i wouldn't recommend you use it.
P.P.S. Crime: adams morgan is a weird mix - if you've lived in dc for a while, you know it, but for those that don't....there is some low income housing around this house (though not on euclid street - its pretty yuppie/middle class) and the occassional theft/shooting in adams morgan. can't be helped. not the safest area in NW (though I feel much safer here than in Columbia Heights, were I last lived), and i've walked home shitfaced on many a night and been absolutely fine.

***
More on renting in DC.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so funny. I was especially intrigued by the landlord -- sounds like an Aspie to me. I'm very in-tune to them now. I think it's funny that the girl posting this felt more of a need to warn people about her Aspie landlord, and just thew in the car jacking and shootings as a "P.S."