Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Priorities

My mom is really funny.

You know how she's always worried about me, concerned about my safety?

Many years ago, there was a possibility that I would get a summer internship in Zambia (I didn't). My mother became very worried and spent much time trying to convince me that I shouldn't go to Africa. Then, she had a change of heart. She said, "on second thought, it might help you lose some weight."

Well, the other day, mom was asking me about my utilities. (By the way, she asked me again how much I paid for internet. It's the new "when are you arriving.") I listed off water, power, gas, alarm.

Mom: Alarm? What do you need an alarm system for?
A.: It's just better to have.
Mom: Isn't it expensive?
A.: About $35 per month.
Mom: Do you really have anything valuable?
A.: Well, yes, and it'd also a safety issue.

Then, today:

Mom: You don't have a TV yet?
A.: No.
Mom: When will you get one?
A.: I'm not sure I will. I'm not sure I'll want to pay for cable.
Mom: I think that's a mistake. I think cable's worth having.

***
The score:
Knock on wood, I've gone a whole day without having to have it out with utilities or banks. I've also won an important battle in my war on furniture. One assembled bookcase down, two futons and a dresser to fix.

No comments: