Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Odds and ends

Last night

Mom: Where did you end up going?
A.: Just Starbucks.
Mom: Apparently, they have terrible coffee-- just terrible. They had stores closing...
A.: I don't think the quality of the coffee was the driving factor, but I wouldn't know. I had tea.
Mom: [Giggle]
A.: What?
Mom: That blouse is too small on you. Your stomach is too big.

For the next half hour or so, mom would look at my stomach and giggle every few minutes. I don't know whether it was more or less annoying than commenting on how dumb a movie is at a similar frequency.


***
At Starbucks

Martha: I'm too busy being concerned about my electrical wiring to care whether or not I'm in a relationship.
A.: Yeah, I think I aspire to having so little house stuff to deal with that I actually care about relationships.

Much less fun would be this relationship-house double-whammy.

Later

Tracy: Is there a reason she can't just be supportive?
A.: I think there are several, one being that she feels threatened that I managed to make a major life decision without her input or financial support. But it will go on-- she will continue to drive by every other Newton McMansion and ask whether my house is that size.
Martha: But your parents don't live in a Newton McMansion. That's the irony-- our parents wouldn't be able to buy here now.
A.: Right.

No comments: