Thursday, December 25, 2008

Didn't take long

Mom: You're dressed 'stupidly.'

That's the first thing she said to me when I got into the car, at 11:30pm on Christmas Eve. It's actually a bit lost in translation-- "po durnomu" were her exact words, for those of you to whom that means anything.

I removed the waterproof jacket that I'd thrown on to block the fierce wind that greeted me when I stepped out onto the curb at the airport.

Mom: Actually, you're alright.

I should hope so. It wasn't the first, or fiftieth, time that mom disapproved of the way I dressed, but I was wearing the same winter coat and clothes I'd worn to work, so it wasn't like the times that she opts to tell me I look like crap when I'm in my gym clothes. Although you may want to check out or revisit the posts from last November, around Rachel's rehearsal dinner and wedding.

My flight had been delayed again once I got to the airport, which was fine. I managed to get some stuff done at home before leaving. But it was colder in Boston, so I didn't step outside until I thought mom and dad would be there soon. I know how long it takes to get from their house to the airport-- we've made it in twenty minutes in traffic-- so I knew, even though the roads were watery, when they weren't there over thirty minutes later, that mom decided to water all the plants in the house on the way out, or something. Turned out dad took some time to look for his phone (nothing like maybe looking for it ahead of time because they would have been expecting my call).

***
A.: So when did you think I'd be arriving?
Mom: The 26th? I remember, we had this conversation. I asked you why you couldn't come in time for the holiday and you said tickets were cheaper afterward.
A.: That's not possible because my ticket was always for the 24th.
Mom: No, I remember. I remember having this conversation.
A.: I remember we had this conversation in October around your birthday--you asked me why I was coming Sunday rather than earlier-- and even then I was getting in on Thursday.
Mom: No, I remember.
Dad: I'd seen the itinerary, but then I couldn't find it.
Mom: I don't pay much attention to those anyway because I know you'll call.
A.: From the airport. It's good for me to know that you'll actually be home when I arrive rather than, say, at a concert or something.
Dad: Would you turn her phone off and stick it in her pocket?
A.: Sure... well, the seatbelt is blocking the pocket.
Mom: Okay-- could you put it in your pocket, then? I don't want to forget it in the car.
A.: Sure.

***
Mom, to dad: Get your head out of the way! I can't see where I'm going!

Theirs is not an easy driveway to back into, but mom finds it especially challenging.

later

Mom, to dad, very emotionally: Where's my phone??? Please go find my phone!!
Dad: It's right there, on the dining room table.

***
That's all for last night. Stay tuned.

No comments: