Thursday, December 25, 2008

Are those my only choices?

Let's continue to consider mom's statements and actions through the lens of what should and shouldn't surprise. Almost everything both does and doesn't.

It doesn't surprise me that mom didn't know when I was getting in, because she's not attentive to detail, particularly detail that she has to read through a whole e-mail to find.

It does surprise me because mom is so nosy about my comings and goings. What did you do today, why aren't you home in this weather/at this hour, why are you home, when are you getting home, and so on. So you'd think she'd pay attention when I do share with her the details of where I'll be and when.

***
A few old themes are resurfacing.

Mom: Do you believe in a higher being, or that we evolved from an ameba?

Mom: Did you hear me?
A.: No. I'm reading.

later

Mom: How is Jay?
A.: He's good.
Mom: Does he have a boyfriend?

I don't know why, but for some reason I knew--yesterday, before I left, that she would ask me that. At least she didn't ask why. I honestly do not take it upon myself to wonder why anyone (myself included) is single. I do sometimes wonder how it's possible that certain other people are not single, because they're pretty f*ing annoying.

***
Mom: Almonds are good for you.
A.: Yes. I actually just bought a ton of almonds.
Mom: We have a lot of almonds!
A.: Yeah, but this way I don't have to transport them back.
Mom: Nothing wrong with the almonds we have.
A.: I don't mind buying my own almonds, mom.

No comments: