Monday, December 1, 2008

Helicopter parents expand their ground

Interesting. When I studied abroad I learned to survive and thrive away from hen-pecking (although it took another decade or so for my parents to realize that). That was as much part of the experience as the actual academics. Yet, this generation takes the helicopter parents along in a way.

***
Yes, men writing women is tricky. I'm a bit distrubed by the glowing reviews for "The Widows of Eastwick;" I couldn't finish "The Witches of Eastwick" because Updike's writing women just didn't work for me. I also realzie that people have completely different takes on this issue. To me, Roddy Doyle's "The Woman Who Walked into Doors," in many ways a work of genius, is brilliant in his writing of Paula, but someone I knew was adamant that no book felt more like a man writing a woman. She preferred Wally Lamb, but when I read "She's Come Undone," I felt that few other books felt like a man writing a woman.

1 comment:

artistchiq said...

Don't ever read Madame Bovary. It's terrible because the main character is female and the writer is such a victorian male that the main character has no depth at all and you just want to slap her all the time.