Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Obstacle course

I'm sleepwalking through getting ready for work. Mom pulls a big, furry coat out of the closet.

A.: I'm just going to wear the winter coat I have.
Mom: It's going to be very, very cold.
A.: Okay, mom!
Mom: Watch your tone!

I know she's trying to be helpful, but yammering at me when I'm getting ready in the morning is anything but. The following exchange occurred when I first came downstairs:

Mom: Take this [indicating a subway map and several small bills]. What you'll do is walk to Downtown Crossing-- do you remember how to do that?
A.: What are you talking about?
Mom: I'm telling you.
A.: No, you're telling me how. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Mom: The weather is going to be very, very bad.
A.: You want me to take the bus to work?
Mom: No, take the bus back.
A.: I'm going to Jay's.
Mom: Oh, right. I forgot. I spent all this time finding the bus schedules.
A.: I'm sorry, but I told you.
Mom: I know.

Then, I start making my breakfast.

Mom: You should have some fish with your hard-boiled eggs.
A.: I don't want any fish right now...
Mom: I'll get some herring out.
A.: No, thanks, mom.

Dad leaves for work out the back door, which is closer to the driveway, but doesn't lock from the outside.

Mom: Lock the door behind him.
A., dealing with breakfast: Okay.
Mom: Do it right away.
A.: He hasn't walked out the door yet!

And then the winter coat thing. Like I said, I know she means well, but to me it's a barrage of offers that I have to fight off. It's like an obstacle course I have to get through to get to work.

No comments: