Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday evening roundup and follow-up on AAdvantage situation

FP points out that The Lady is human, as are her freedom-fighting counterparts around the world. The article is well framed to not detract from Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's life's work but to point out that there's always room for improvement.

I am not a shoe addict.

Re: the AAdvantage saga: Jesus at e-Shopping has sent me another useless form message, although this time he had the decency to definitively point out that my purchase was ineligible for miles because I wasn't registered at e-Shopping at the time. Thing is, there was no sign I had to be.

Here's what happened: I went to AA's site and searched for "Bose," ending up on this site, which, you may note, says nothing about registering for e-Shopping. Not even the Terms and Conditions, excerpted below, or in the fine print on the next site in the process, which asked for my name and AAdvantage number, which I entered to purchase the headset. At no point was I informed that there was even registration to be had, much less required.

Terms and Conditions follow. If you can spot the requirement for an e-Shopping account, you are more astute than I.

1 comment:

AAdvantageGeek said...

Hi there,

I have my own blog and write about earning and using AAdvantage Miles. Your post showed up in my daily Google alerts.

I read your post and I think that the first time you contacted AAdvantage customer service that they gave you some incorrect information and that's why the AAdvantage eShopping Mall folks don't have a record of your purchase.

It's a little confusing, but there are two ways to earn AAdvantage Miles with a purchase of Bose headphones:

1 - You can earn 3 miles per dollar by making a purchase through the AAdvantage eShopping Mall.

To earn these miles you DO have to register with AAdvantage eShopping Mall.

or

2 - You can earn 1,500 miles by purchasing directly from Bose using the link published on American's website.

NO registration is required, but you do have to make the purchase using the posted link. This is exactly what you did.

AAdvantage customer service made a mistake by putting you in contact with AAdvantage eShopping Mall, instead they should have put you in contact with Bose customer service.

Anyway, try this number at Bose customer service: 1-800-357-2673. If they aren't able to help you then you should try contacting AAdvantage customer service again.

If you're looking for a cheap and easy way to keep your miles from expiring:

1 - Go to the AAdvantage eShopping Mall
2 - Register
3 - Search the shopping mall for iTunes
4 - Click the iTunes link
5- Spend at least $1 (I don't think they count the money you spend on taxes, so you'll probably have to buy 2 songs @ 99 cents)

Your AA miles will post pretty quickly and after that you should be good for another year.

By the way, I really like your blog, and especially admire that you've been able to keep at it for almost 7 years - that's like 49 blog years!

Best wishes and send me an email if you don't get your miles. Maybe we can get someone at AA to take a look at it.