Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday morning roundup

Kristof on reproductive rights.

I don't mind helping to accommodate the schedules of colleagues with kids as long as my own work-life balance is respected as needed. What I would resent is the myth that my current activities and obligations are less important because they don't involve offspring. And thankfully, we're moving away from that:
Who, if anyone, has the work-life balance higher ground: The mother with three children, the son taking care of elderly parents, or the 20-something who is learning Mandarin once a week? And should the reasons even matter and be brought to the table in the first place?
“My advice is to remove the why — take the reason out of it,” says Cali Williams Yost, chief executive of Flex + Strategy Group/Work + Life Fit, a research and consulting firm based in Madison, N.J. “You shouldn’t say, ‘I’m leaving at 3 p.m. to take my kid to a soccer game,’ ” she says, “because what about the person who has to take their parent to chemotherapy or the person who needs to go to marriage counseling?”
Or are we?

I think I was on the San Juans this time last year. I didn't meet the orca-scat-detecting dog.

There's a cat video film festival??

No comments: