Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Soviet-Jewish character

I do not love "The Free World" the way I did "Natasha," but it's still an interesting read; David Bezmozgis is indisputably an excellent writer, and even more indisputably, a master at capturing the Soviet Jewish character. Readers of a different background might enjoy the book less if they don't quite identify with it, or perhaps more, if they recognize the authenticity.

Regular readers of this blog will understand, from this excerpt (Part II, Chapter 11) why the book speaks to me, albeit in exaggeration:
Going to see his family felt to Alec like doing penance for any enjoyment he derived from life. They fundamentally disagreed about everything important, and also unimportant. Whenever Alec said anything, Rosa and his father found common cause in his idiocy. Their conversation was a series of digs and ambushes.
My mom just lectured me about how all she gets from me are insults and rudeness. This because I (politely) reminded her to shower before we left the house. She'd have me know that she always showers before leaving the house, and that I was insulting her. This from the woman who woke me up before 7am to tell me my hair was too dark.

No comments: