Friday, December 27, 2013

I (still) exude coldness

"You exude coldness."

Mom managed to get that out not once, but twice, in the course of my yoga routine. Which I started before she'd gotten out of bed, but it's like she has a sixth sense for these things. So she came down and proceeded to talk to me the whole time.

Mom: You lucked out with your parents; don't think for a second that the credit for your brains, is yours. You exude coldness. I think I've told you that before. You exude the coldness of a know-it-all. You have to do everything right, which isn't right. You may not respond but I know I'm getting through to you; I know something is registering. It's not right to be all brain and no heart. The heart is the most important thing we have. Only the heart can really see. I know you can hear me.

There were a few minutes of quiet only random observations ("that painting doesn't look right over there;" "look at how low the sun is;" etc.) and then she picked up again on the coldness.

"You exude coldness."

***
I exude, among other things, the signals of an introvert who would prefer not to be spoken to at the moment, or maybe just the mindset of someone doing yoga, which is to want to do yoga in peace and quiet. Given mom's health, I've chosen to merely ignore her rather than call her out. But perhaps you would like to review the history of her commenting on my coldness:

Cold, unfeeling;
It's my problem;
Something happened;
I'm very serious;
I'd choke someone if given the opportunity.
I emit no warmth.

Also: the story of another woman whose mother branded her 'cold'.

No comments: