Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Mom just called me useless by virtue of being childless

Mom: To not eat vegetables because there's mayonnaise on them!
A.: I've never actually liked mayonnaise.
Mom: But it's so good.
A. [Shrug.]
Mom: I don't understand how we raised someone to be so dogmatic. We're both so open-minded.

That conversation repeated itself several times throughout the course of dinner. It proceeded a rant about how I wouldn't go to the Russian store with them and how unbelievable it was that I could live in a place without one. I actually had to fight (earlier) to not go. Dad and I had already gone to pick up mom's prescription, and then to pick up his dentures. So we'd been out and about and I'd had it (and I hate the Russian store).

Mom: Why not?
A.: Because I don't feel like it.
Mom: Sit at home later.
A.: I want to sit at home now.
Mom: I don't understand.
A.: I'm not going.
Mom: Why not?
A.: Because. I. Don't. Feel. Like. It.

But I digress. Over dinner, she started talking about a friend who always sends her a holiday card, in which he lists his kids and grandkids.

Mom: Where are our grandkids? You're pretty useless.
A.: [Shrug.]

I do leave you with some thoughts from Carolyn.

No comments: