Saturday, January 3, 2009

Saturday afternoon

After a few more iterations of "you look ugly"/"I don't care", we made it to the gym. I interval trained on the elliptical; mom got a massage. On the way back, we stopped at Radio Shack, because my phone has been acting up and I need a new one. I was looking around, and a salesperson came over. He would provide information (such as, yes, you'll be able to use your sim card and plan even though it's a go-phone) and then mom would ask the same question. This happened several times. Then, we'd agreed on a phone. They couldn't access my account, since it wasn't local.

Mom: But when we talk, it's free.

Then, when they were testing my SIM card, she asked what it was. I explained. She asked them. I said I'd tell her later, because they couldn't explain and work at the same time, and I wanted out of there.

But that didn't happen for ages, and eventually I left without a phone, for some bizarre bureaucratic reason. Mom had gone next door to AJ Wright, came back half an hour later (they were still working on my phone).

Mom: A.! A.! I can't find my wallet, I left it at the gym.
A.: Did you try the car?
Mom: No, it wouldn't be there.

She called the gym. And then checked the car. It was there.

Then we went back to AJ Wright.

Mom: Get in line.
A.: What?
Mom: I want to look for something else. Stand in line.
A.: But there's no line. Just look for it and come back. I'll go with you.

Mom throws a fit.

Mom: I understand! I can't ask you for anything! You'll never do anything for me!
A.: What? What's going on?

On the way home we resolved whatever misunderstanding had happened and mom told me it was exacerbated because I was rude and harsh, and added that I never know when "it" matters, so I shouldn't go to the gym looking like a slob because I think it doesn't matter. I shrugged.

Oh, and before we left, she pulled out a sparkly v-neck as an alternative to the t-shirt I was wearing. I said 'no', she said I had no taste, there was back-and-forth and acrimony. Over a t-shirt. That I would wear to the gym.

No comments: