Saturday, January 31, 2009

More customer service tales

While my mother would argue that I always have to be right, I actually don't think anyone is always right. And I've certainly never bought into or expected 'the customer is always right' treatment. But there is, obviously, a certain amount of courtesy due a customer, and there is also a certain minimum below which the customer is not worth annoying.

Last Saturday morning, like the one before it, I started my weekend at the hardware store. I bought approximately $70 worth of stuff-- not the most I've spent at that place, but also not bad for one receipt. My purchase included two packages of fiberglass insulation at about $6 each. Since the plumber was coming around on Tuesday, I thought I would ask him whether it was worth wrapping around my water heater like they say... and he said that it wasn't, that water heaters-- even older ones-- have plenty of built-in insulation. So this morning, when I was back at Home Depot for more stuff, I returned the insulation. I encountered more scrutiny from the saleswoman at the counter than a cabinet nominee would in the course of a hearing.

Saleswoman: Is there something wrong with it?
A.: It turns out that I don't need it.
Saleswoman, looking at me skeptically: It is opened?

It is obviously not opened. The plastic around both packages is perfectly intact, apart from a tiny hole that she manages to find on one, that was most likely there when I bought it. She takes almost a minute to look over the packages. Finally she processes the return. Upon tossing the insulation into the right bins, she looks them over again, very carefully.

What is she going to do? Not process the return? Accuse me of using the insulation and then wrapping it back up?

It reminds me of the time, a few years ago, that I pointed out to a waitress that there was meat in my 'vegetarian' fried rice. Rather than apologizing and bringing me a new plate, she took on a skeptical look and proceeded to poke at the dish with my fork. What is WRONG with these people?

No comments: