Monday, January 5, 2009

Apparently I'm overpaid

Mom was on the phone with dad when I overheard the following:

Mom: You have to admit, Natasha is as much of a klizma [enema, for those who have forgotten] as I am.

Mom had a lot to say on the way to the airport. The following statement is funnier to those who know where I work. Those that don't-- I can't tell you, and still keep my job, since I've made partisan political statements on this blog.

Mom: I'm going to let you in on a little secret: these government projects are SO WASTEFUL. Lydia was sick one week so she saw them repair the pavement outside her house. First of all, they didn't need the pavement to be repaired. Second, she watched them work, and it took forever. And they were union so I'm sure they were paid a lot. It took them a week! So wasteful-- can you imagine? That and the salaries of people like you, so exorbitant!
A.: You think I'm overpaid?
Mom: Well, let's see: how long have you been there? Two years?
A.: So you think pay should relate to tenure rather than performance?
Mom: [Shrug].

No comments: