Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday roundup

Japan comes to terms with an epidemic of phantom centenarians.

China comes to terms with its outdated 'hukou' system.

A Peruvian mining town isn't thrilled with the Chinese company that's established itself there. But the article would be more contextually complete with a discussion of Chinese (and Japanese) immigration to Peru last century.

A reporter's literally hellish sojourn in Moscow. Russia's leadership is more likely than ever to face the fallout.

It's not peace if Afghan women's rights are sacrificed in the process.

Travel writers assess "Eat, Prey, Love" (yes, I know the movie has no commas, and that just infuriates me) for its portrayals of Bali, India, and Rome.

Under budget pressure, schools are asking kids to Bring Their Own cleaning supplies and other stuff. I'd probably resent some of the stuff on the list--paper plates? How about introducing the concept of reusable plates?

It's not yet posted online, but even public transit devotees are telling Dr. Gridlock that they've had it with Metro. I'm used to unair-conditioned cars, but the other day I stepped into a moldy one. It was disgusting.

Maureen Dowd on the President and the left. Katrina Vanden Heuvel and Julian Zelizer on the same, although the latter is more of an analysis of the facts as well as the politics.

I'm sorry, but leadership means growing a pair, not qualifying your statements.

Frank Rich expresses his faith in progress in America, a day after two of his colleagues did (see yesterday's roundup).

This ode to Naomi Campbell may be the weakest column by Robin Givhan I've ever read.

Tom and Lorenzo make an excellent point vis-a-vis the focus on Christina Hendricks' curves: why isn't anyone talking about what a fantastic actress she is? Jon Hamm is hot, too, but he gets credit for his acting.

iPhone users get more action--twice as much as Droid users, apparently.

Americans are finally just saying no to white bread. I recently discovered Ultimate Grains brand (you don't expect me to bake my own in this weather!), and it's heavenly. I've been toasting it, than misting with olive oil. Heaven, I tell you. On the topic of what not to eat, researchers use Progresso vegetable soup to simulate a vomit-like substance.

1 comment:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

Um, does Hamm really get more credit for his acting, b/c the last time I checked, most articles about him are centered around how smoking hot he is. I'm actually trying to think of an article where that doesn't come up and I can't think of one.