Sunday, August 1, 2010

It looks like we have another letter to write

A.: Hello?
Mom: Hi. So, it looks like we have another letter to write.

I don't object to letters, per se. If RCN is being its evil self, I'm willing to help out. But I wanted to point out that it wasn't a good time for me to get the details.

Mom: So, I joined this risk-free, monthly...

A.: [oh, no.]

Mom: ...blah, blah, blah.
A.: Mom, my hands are dirty...
Mom: Well, I'll just explain in general.

But she goes on to explain in detail.

A.: Mom, I can't take this in right now. Besides, could you just call them?
Mom: I want to cancel out officially.
A.: [loud sigh]
Mom: Look, will you do this for me?
A.: Of course I will, if we need to. But I prefer it if you try calling them first.
Mom: I didn't see an easy way to do that?
A.: You didn't see a phone number? They gave you no instructions for canceling?
Mom: What's so hard about writing a letter?
A.: I don't have a lot of time right now. I will write this if we need to write this...
Mom: Fine! Goodbye!

***
I'm getting over a bout of poison ivy so nasty that I'm relieved when I find that I have a mosquito bite, because that itch will go away with vinegar or subside naturally in little time. I'm not sure how many hours I worked last week... but I pretty much remember that I got home, crashed, woke up itching, crashed, woke up, and went back to work. I've not read most of the Post yet.

I'll write mom's complaint letters when complaint letters are warranted. When the situation can be resolved with a phone call, I prefer that we take that route.

***
Mom doesn't write, so she thinks writing is easy for people who do. She doesn't understand that it's not helpful to hear "the general idea." That's not how it works. It would be as if I asked her to hem a pair of pants for me without measuring it, or by asking her to measure it while she was cleaning mushrooms.

A significant part of my job entails writing. It does not entail pulling information out of my @$$; rather, it--particularly the drafting of the product--requires taking detailed notes, organizing those notes, and building a case. That's how I write.

If mom would like me to write her a letter, the least she can do is give me something to work with (when I can work with it).

No comments: