Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday morning roundup

Tom Friedman's compelling when he's right, and he knows the Middle East.

Plans for mosques across the country are testing our national commitment to religious freedom. On a quasi-related note: why Jews should be all over the California ruling.

It's awesome when responsible business finds success. I hope that Alexandria does something with all the fallen tree parts it was wonderful enough to pick up curbside.

Would you people shut up and let the First Lady vacation where she wants?

A more in-depth look at the concept that money can buy happiness--when it buys experiences rather than stuff. The home near the hiking trails is a good one--I was just thinking this morning, "this trail is priceless." It's so beautiful I never get sick of it, and it's right there. I like that this article leaves room for nuance: experiences are awesome, but sometimes material things (a) are more than the thing itself; and (b) hit the spot.

I'm one of those jackasses who likes to read things because they're well written and speak to me. I love some of these these writers. But I'll admit I'm disappointed with some of this year's New Yorker fiction.

No comments: