Monday, August 30, 2010

Monday morning roundup

None of this is new, but it can't hurt to restate that a two-state solution is the only way forward.

With this tragic article on livestock losses as the last straw for struggling Pakistanis, is a beautiful photo.

Russia has issues and more issues.

Lest you were harboring suspicions to the contrary, China is still statist and authoritarian. And it's not because baseball is a tough sell there.

Anne Applebaum on the Iraq war's toll on foreign policy.

Since when is it anything but utterly repugnant to insult someone's religious beliefs, much less the President's?

Does anyone else see a structural problem with unpaid internships you have to pay for? Not the actual ones discussed in the article, but the issue of excluding people who can't afford to pay, even more so than in the past, when unpaid internships excluded people who couldn't afford not to earn a paycheck?

Because I have, many a time, prematurely eschewed a technology only to embrace it when I came to understand its utility, I hesitate to slam location apps. But I can express bewilderment, like many of the people of my generation. And what's with the premise that people will do it for the odd coupon? I mean, do you really shop that much that it makes a difference?

While we're on the subject of (eschewing) technology, and discounts, I've apparently saved myself $4.99/month for an iPhone 'mute' app by never having signed up for Twitter.

No comments: