Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday evening roundup

Prior to reading this, I honestly didn't weigh income very heavily as a factor in deciding whom to date.

Baggage fees got you down? Try a nakation.

Grist takes on the anti-locavore argument. Some of the points there are great (for example: it's about the food system, not strictly food miles; the food economy's comparative advantages are influenced as much by subsidies as geography;), others make me roll my eyes (for example: it's about knowing your farmer). Not because in an ideal world I wouldn't want to know my farmer; it's just not a priority.

Meanwhile: you should be livid about salmonella in eggs. I gave up eggs a while ago, as I told you, because I got sick of navigating the humane-egg clusterf*. I'll give them up all over again if I can't have runny yolks on toast.

This is AWESOME. An excerpt:
As someone who rides the Green and Yellow Lines all the time, I can assure you that there are no "rules" that state these subway lines must be avoided at all times, especially at night. But then, I guess I'm not using "A Cliche-Ridden Guide To Avoiding The Black People On The Subway In Washington" as a rulebook. Ironically, one needs to ride the Green/Yellow line in order to visit the National Archives, where the Constitution of the United States is housed. (Not that these rally attendees have any particular reverence for that document.)

Look, Glenn Beck rally attendees, if there's one essential piece of information you need to know, it is this: DO NOT STAND TO THE LEFT ON THE ESCALATORS UNLESS YOU ENJOY BEING MOCKED AND ABUSED. Just remember to stand to the right on the escalators, and your visit will be more than pleasant.
Disclaimer: One does not need to ride the Green/Yellow line to visit the National Archives; one may walk from Federal Triangle if one is so inclined. I wouldn't recommend it in this weather, but if you insist on avoiding the green and yellow lines (the latter of which, incidentally, I take to and from work), you have that option.

This so reminds me of one of my former carpoolers. I did once threaten to kick him out and make him hitchhike off the side of the beltway, but in that case it wasn't because he was late.

BTW, I sent this to Jay, subject line: "I knew it!"

No comments: