Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday morning roundup, Asia edition (and more)

As Indonesia outgrows its reputation for corruption and inefficiency, questions about a hajji mafia emerge.

Meanwhile, China's once-unstoppable charm offensive on Southeast Asia is losing steam.

A Chinese modern artist takes on pollution.

Naomi Campbell finds it terribly inconvenient to testify against Charles Taylor. I bet we could find some people in Liberia and Sierra Leone who could clarify the concept of inconvenience for her.

More locally: I'm thrilled that the power's back and looking forward to cleaning up my part of the metro region's storm-induced mess. I walked home from the metro through a disaster area yesterday--fallen mattresses, tree branches, just about everything else. I'll need to take my bike home today; hopefully the trail is in decent shape.

No comments: