Friday, August 31, 2012

We're still here

We're still here. Mom is f*ing around with something or other upstairs. I'm waiting for her to come downstairs and blame dad and me for wasting time. Maybe she won't do that until we get to the beach and see that it's crowded.

Earlier

A.: You're going to want to retire at some point, right?
Dad: Well, I am 75.
A.: Right.
Dad: But everyone I know who's retired isn't happier.
A.: What if you travel? Instead of hanging out around the house.
Dad: Because traveling with mom is uncomplicated. Remember China? Remember Arizona?
A.: I do.
Dad: I do, too.

A couple of months ago, I'd told dad it was too bad he couldn't make it to Prague. He agreed, but said, "well, you know, when mom's not happy, she makes sure nobody's happy." And he wouldn't leave her here alone, which is probably just as well.

So let's recap: mom's 75 year-old husband doesn't want to travel with her and would rather keep working than spend more time with her. Oh, and also with regard to Prague, one of her closest friends was relieved when she bowed-out of attending her daughter's wedding, because she feared mom's drama-queen tendencies. But mom still takes it upon herself to lecture everyone else on what's wrong with them.

No comments: