Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday morning roundup Part II

An article from just before the last election on the neurology of voting

A different perspective (from last week's, written by Steve Pearlstein) on Glass-Steagall (by Barry Ritholtz).

I don't recall seeing evidence of genetically modified foods being shown to be bad for humans, but there are many reasons nonetheless to stick with organic soy products.

An insured man, above his coverage limit, fundraised for his own chemo.

Lots of wisdom in Carolyn's response to the second letter. Nobody owes donations to anyone, even in memory. Also, I liked what she wrote about (mis)directing out at those who are actually in a position to take it in.

As much as I agree theoretically with Amy's smackdown of the "shallow" letter-writer, part of me hears him, too. I have to admit that I have a hard time being attracted to chubbier men. I know this is not universal--I have friends who are more attracted to chubbier men--but I, personally, haven't managed to be. I went out with one, twice, recently, and even though it was other things (primarily, lack of class) that sunk any relationship potential, I found myself cringing whenever he referenced his large size. I imagine that if I'd really liked him anyway, I'd have gotten over it--once you decide whether to like or not like someone, you start piling evidence to support your decision--and in this case, it wasn't the deciding factor but it was a factor.

Kathleen Parker is a wise woman:
Begging to differ, there is nothing more important than food — how we raise it, how we distribute it and how we consume it. At a time of rampant obesity, especially among children, nutrition should be a national priority. 


No comments: