Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday afternoon roundup (body edition) and another ramble about getting around


This woman's boss told her that pumping was disgusting.


Today is Go Topless Day and I'm wasting it. Remind me to hit a beach this time next year.

You can't exploit the attention paid to other women's post-baby bodies and then act shocked--shocked! when it comes back to bite you. Also, for your own sake, don't assume someone's pregnant even if she looks it.

***
Recently, I've been writing a lot about getting into, around, and back from DC. You've read that I refer to take the Metro, within reason, but sometimes driving's the best option. Those times are usually weekends--especially when there's single-tracking--or late nights, or anytime you'd need to change trains outside of rush hour. Then there are the factors related to driving, like traffic and the availability of parking. And external factors, like how behind you are on New Yorkers you could read on the metro, as well as your plans to drink or transport unwieldy objects (such as food you're bringing to an event, or good you're planning on purchasing).

Sunday is generally both the worst day to metro and the best day to drive, especially in the morning. Sunday morning is when I also prefer to be on my bike, but I wasn't feeling it this morning. Also, I would be transporting a large object--the latest effort to manage my cat's asthma, in the form of a tower air purifier. And I'm happy to report--in case you care, for the purpose of your own driving vs. Metro decisions--that it was a surprisingly smooth drive in both directions. That it's a straight shot from Alexandria to Columbia Heights doesn't matter when there are scores of lights in between, but those lights are synchronized such that when traffic flows, it really flows.

But here's another issue about driving in DC: DC is stricter about cell phones. I think the ban on operating phones in any way is intact. So what happens when a phone is not just a phone? When using the phone as a phone is the last thing you're thinking of doing? When the phone is your map and navigator, and also your radio? Could I be pulled over in DC for looking at the map on my phone or turning on Pandora? Would that be any more right than pulling someone over for looking at a paper map or turning on the radio?

No comments: