Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wednesday evening roundup

Economic suicide is so tragic and yet so absurd. I'm not pretending to know what those people are going through, and I know privation is relative, but I also know that the economically worst-off European enjoys a quality of life that most of the world can only dream of. In other words, I'm in no position to pass judgment on the desperate, but we can agree that desperation is relative, and it's unbelievable to me that people can't find enough comfort in what they do have to choose to live.

I would like to nominate this guy for world's greatest dad, and though I never thought I'd wish the unleashing of the full force of the Saudi legal system on anyone, I'd like to see those haters get their @sses legally lashed.

Kathleen Parker pretends not to, but does, speak ill of the dead in her take down of Helen Gurley Brown. And misses the point.

Luxury foods are for poseurs.

This godsend of an article actually came out back when I was in a relationship with the very person it told me to run away from, i.e., he who was “great except...” It came to my attention again just now, and just in time, because I was getting so sick  of the very advice it says to run away from, i.e., "straighten your hair, downplay your education." I cycle between fear that "they" are right--that it has to be work, that I have to fundamentally change--and resistance (in the positive, militant sense; not in the negative energetic sense), i.e., "f* it, this is who I am, and no it shouldn't have to be hard. It's not worth it if it's hard. It's not worth it if I have to become a different person." Which is true, but sometimes I need a blog post to reinforce it.

No comments: