Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday evening roundup/ramble

I enjoyed "Celeste and Jesse Forever." It was funny and it was real. And up until the end, I didn't agree with Ann Hornaday's critique, in which she lumped it with other films in which "women are punished for not accepting the man-children in their lives despite their torn-teddy-bear flaws." It's almost because the film hit so close to home, though not in the most direct way, that I see both sides of it. I'm glad Celeste starts to look inward, and I wouldn't say that the guy is exactly let off the hook, but the demise of the relationship is pinned squarely on her shoulders. I wanted to scream into the screen, "you could never have been happy with him. You're not the only one who would have had to work harder." Also, I could have done without the vegan-bashing. That goes for you, too, Wiley.

The relationship in the film also reminded me a bit of the one of which Lena Dunham just wrote in the New Yorker.

No comments: